Discipline of Pharmaceutical Sciences: Dr. Rahul S. Kalhapure, M.S. Pharm, Ph.D. is an Honorary Associate Professor in Discipline of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Health Sciences at UKZN. He obtained his PhD from Institute of Chemical Technology, University of Mumbai, India. He is an established Scientist in Drug Delivery and Pharmaceutical Chemistry. He is working as a Senior Formulation Scientist at Odin Pharmaceuticals, USA. Prior to the current position he has worked at the University of Texas at El Paso, USA as a Research Assistant Professor. During 2013 to 2017 he was NRF Postdoctoral Researcher at UKZN working extensively on nanoantibiotics development to control infections by Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant S. aureus.
His research areas of interest include complex drug products, dendrimers, novel biocompatible materials and their applications in nano-drug delivery. He has more than 50 scientific publications in peer-reviewed international journals to his credit, and presented his research findings at several international conferences in Europe, Africa and North America. He is an Associate Editorial Board member of Drug Delivery Letters and Editorial Board member of Current Nanotoxicity and Prevention. He is also an active reviewer for 30 plus peer-reviewed international journals such as Acta Biomaterialia, Journal of Controlled Release, Materials Science and Engineering C, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, Bioconjugate Chemistry and Molecular Pharmaceutics among other.
- Sonawane, S. J., Kalhapure, R. S., Jadhav, M., Rambharose, S., Mocktar, C., & Govender, T. (2020). AB2-type amphiphilic block copolymer containing a pH-cleavable hydrazone linkage for targeted antibiotic delivery. International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 575, 118948.
- Omolo, C. A., Kalhapure, R. S., Agrawal, N., Jadhav, M., Rambharose, S., Mocktar, C., & Govender, T. (2018). A hybrid of mPEG-b-PCL and G1-PEA dendrimer for enhancing delivery of antibiotics. Journal of controlled release, 290, 112-128.
- Omolo, C. A., Kalhapure, R. S., Agrawal, N., Rambharose, S., Mocktar, C., & Govender, T. (2018). Formulation and molecular dynamics simulations of a fusidic acid nanosuspension for simultaneously enhancing solubility and antibacterial activity. Molecular pharmaceutics, 15(8), 3512-3526.
- Sikwal, D. R., Kalhapure, R. S., Rambharose, S., Vepuri, S., Soliman, M., Mocktar, C., & Govender, T. (2016). Polyelectrolyte complex of vancomycin as a nanoantibiotic: preparation, in vitro and in silico studies. Materials Science and Engineering: C, 63, 489-498.
- Kalhapure, R. S., Sonawane, S. J., Sikwal, D. R., Jadhav, M., Rambharose, S., Mocktar, C., & Govender, T. (2015). Solid lipid nanoparticles of clotrimazole silver complex: an efficient nano antibacterial against Staphylococcus aureus and MRSA. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 136, 651-658.
- Kalhapure, R. S., Mocktar, C., Sikwal, D. R., Sonawane, S. J., Kathiravan, M. K., Skelton, A., & Govender, T. (2014). Ion pairing with linoleic acid simultaneously enhances encapsulation efficiency and antibacterial activity of vancomycin in solid lipid nanoparticles. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 117, 303-311.
- Kalhapure, R. S., & Akamanchi, K. G. (2013). Oleodendrimers: A novel class of multicephalous heterolipids as chemical penetration enhancers for transdermal drug delivery. International journal of pharmaceutics, 454(1), 158-166.
- Google Scholar Link to complete list of Publications:
pH-responsive lipids, WO2018033883A3. Mahantesh Jadhav, Rahul Kalhapure, Thirumala Govender, Sanjeev Rambharose, Chunderika Mocktar.
Honors and Awards
- The Boehringer Ingelheim Best Publication Award in Pharmaceutics, Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences of South Africa Annual Meeting 2018.Nanomedicine Nanotechnology Biology and Medicine, 2017, 13, 2067-2077. (Lead and Correspondence Author).
- The Boehringer Ingelheim Best Publication Award in Pharmaceutics, Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences of South Africa Annual Meeting 2017.International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2016, 504, 1-10. (Correspondence Author).
- ICT Golden Jubilee Innovative PhD (Tech) Thesis Award for the best thesis in chemical technology, Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai, India (March 2013).