Dr Andile KM Faya
|Person||Dr Andile Faya|
|Telephone||+27 (0) 260 8482|
|Research Interests||Synthesis, antimicrobial peptides, Molecular modelling, drug solubility using nano-systems|
|Biosketch||Dr Faya joined the University as a staff member in March 2019 after completing his PhD in pharmaceutics where he was researching novel bioactive materials to target pathogenic microorganisms. During his PhD studies, he was fortunate to be funded by NRF/DAAD scholarship as well as talent equity and excellence acceleration scholarship which is a prestigious award which enables the university to identify potential top academic talent to grow the next generation of academics. He has graduated three Master’s students and currently supervises honours students, three master’s students and two PhD students. To date he has been able to publish ten papers, two book chapters with five papers under review. He has also been fortunate to be awarded NRF-Thuthuka grant (R140 000) from 2022 – 2024, College of Health science start-up grant (R200 000), as well as research development equipment (RDE) grant (R682 229.38) which has helped him to establish a research laboratory, focusing on synthesis, drug solubility using nano-systems as well as molecular modelling.|
|List of Publications||Peer-reviewed Journals
1. S Shaikh, M., Karpoormath, R., Thapliyal, N., A Rane, R., B Palkar, M., Faya, A. M., & A Hampannavar, G. (2015). Current perspective of natural alkaloid carbazole and its derivatives as antitumor agents. Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry (Formerly Current Medicinal Chemistry- Anti-Cancer Agents), 15(8), 1049-1065
2. Balmith, M., Faya, M., & Soliman, M. E. (2017). Ebola virus: A gap in drug design and discovery‐ experimental and computational perspective. Chemical biology & drug design, 89(3), 297-308.
3. Faya, M., Kalhapure, R. S., Kumalo, H. M., Waddad, A. Y., Omolo, C., & Govender,
T. (2018). Conjugates and nano-delivery of antimicrobial peptides for enhancing therapeutic activity. Journal of Drug Delivery Science and Technology, 44, 153-171.
4. Faya, M., Kalhapure, R. S., Dhumal, D., Agrawal, N., Omolo, C., Akamanchi, K. G., & Govender, T. (2019). Antimicrobial cell penetrating peptides with bacterial cell specificity: pharmacophore modelling, quantitative structure activity relationship and molecular dynamics simulation. Journal of Biomolecular Structure and Dynamics, 37(9), 2370-2380.
5. Faya, M. Hazzah, H. Omolo, C, A. Agrawal, N. Maji, R. Walvekar, P. Mocktar, C. Nkambule, B. Rambharose, S. Albericio, F. de la Torre, B, G. Govender, T. Novel Formulation of Antimicrobial Peptides Enhances Antimicrobial Activity Against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), Journal of Amino Acids, 52(10), 1439-1457.
6. Fasiku, V. O., Omolo, C. A., Devnarain, N., Ibrahim, U. H., Rambharose, S., Faya, M., … & Govender, T. (2021). Chitosan-based hydrogel for the dual delivery of antimicrobial agents against bacterial methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus biofilm-infected wounds. ACS omega, 6(34), 21994-22010.
7. Kayamba, F., Faya, M., Pooe, O. J., Kushwaha, B., Kushwaha, N. D., Obakachi, V. A., … & Karpoormath, R. (2021). Lactate dehydrogenase and malate dehydrogenase: Potential antiparasitic targets for drug development studies. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry, 50, 116458.
8. Fasiku, V. O., Omolo, C. A., Kiruri, L. W., Devnarain, N., Faya, M., Mocktar, C., & Govender, T. (2022). A hyaluronic acid-based nanogel for the co-delivery of nitric oxide (NO) and a novel antimicrobial peptide (AMP) against bacterial biofilms. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 206, 381-397.
9. Gill, A., Nate, Z., Chauhan, R., Faya, M., Karpoormath, R., & Omolo, C. A. (2022). Nanobioengineering: A promising approach for early detection of COVID-19. In Sensing Tools and Techniques for COVID-19 (pp. 151-193). Elsevier.
10. Ismail, E. A., Faya, M., Amuhaya, E., Omolo, C. A., & Govender, T. (2022). Biodegradable Polymers: Synthesis to Advanced Biomedical Applications. In Conducting Polymers (pp. 81-100). CRC Press.
Publication Record: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=2cEagUAAAAAJ&hl=en